Fire destroys a Bethel home

by Angela Denning-Barnes on June 28, 2012

The inside of a house in Bethel was totaled by a fire Monday. The single story home located at 680 Main Street caught fire accidentally, according to the Bethel Fire Department. It started in a bed, most likely by someone smoking or by smoking materials there.

Three people were in the house when the fire started but they all escaped uninjured. The 911 call was received just before 8 a.m. Fire fighters arrived at the scene 6 minutes later. By that time, the home was full of smoke. The fire had spread from the bed and had engulfed the interior of the home.

A fire truck, tanker, ambulance, and two city water trucks responded.

Bill Howell, Captain of the Fire Department, says the main fire was contained within about 15 minutes, but fire fighters were on the scene for two hours making sure all hidden fires were out and the entire building was contained.

The inside of the home and its contents were a total loss, although the structure still stands.

That was one of two fires in Bethel this week. Another was in City Subdivision on Saturday night where an abandoned connex van burned. It was located at 17 Kwethluk Drive. The call came in to the fire department at about 10 p.m. Fire fighters put out the fire and there were no injuries. The contents of the van were totaled. The fire department says the fire is suspicious and could have been started by someone.

Previous post:

Next post: