Lower Kuskokwim hunt is tracking as predicted

by Angela Denning-Barnes on September 4, 2013

The Lower Kuskokwim moose hunt is open and at least 1,300 permits were handed out to local residents. The hunt runs September 1-10. The quota is 100 antlered bulls, 81 on state land and 19 on federal land. As of 10 a.m. today, 38 had been reported killed. Most of them were taken on state land.

Phillip Perry is the Area Management biologist for Unit 18.

“We’re pretty much the same, right in the middle of the last three years,” Perry says.

Perry says because the hunt is tracking about the same as the last few years, they have a pretty good idea of how long it will last.

“I would say at this point that it’s not going to make it to the 10th which I’ve been telling people since before the season started that with a quota of a hundred we probably will end up closing down early,” Perry says.

He says game managers likely won’t close the season before Friday at midnight. That would take hunters into the 7th day. Perry says it could very well close Friday at midnight or on Saturday. It all depends on how the reports come in over the next few days.

Hunters who catch are required to validate their harvest tickets immediately. Perry says that means hunters can call him directly and leave a message.

All 1,300 plus permit holders are required to report their tickets whether they catch or not. The deadline to turn in harvest tickets is September 25.

You can call Phillip Perry at 543-2979.

Previous post:

Next post: