Mike Williams Jr. wins Frank “Nurauq” Kawagley race
Mike Williams Jr. of Akiak walks along his winning team. Photo courtesy of Shawna Williams.
Akiak hosted the annual Frank “Nurauq” Kawagley Sled Dog Race January 3-4. The third day of the race was canceled due to warm weather. The race features a 25-mile race route each day. Hometown musher, Mike Williams Jr., won with a total elapsed time of 3 hours, 31 minutes, and 28 seconds, over five minutes faster than his competition.
Herman Phillip of Kwethluk finished in second place at 3 hours, 36 minutes, and 49 seconds. Sargent Guy of Kwethluk took third at 3 hours, 42 minutes, and 18 seconds.
Here are the placings and elapsed times:
1. Mike Williams Jr. 3:31:28 Akiak
2. Herman Phillip 3:36:49 Kwethluk
3. Sargent Guy 3:42:18 Kwethluk
4. John George 3:47:52 Akiachak
5. Alexie Jacob 3:58:22 Napaskiak
6. Cameron Jackson 4:04:31 Akiak
7. George Manutoli 4:10:27 Akiachak