More victims reveal abuse in Peter Tony case

by Angela Denning-Barnes on June 28, 2013

Photo of Peter Tony, courtesy of Kimberly Bruesch

Photo of Peter Tony, courtesy of Kimberley Bruesch

More victims have been identified in the case of Peter Tony, a former foster parent and daycare provider in Bethel.The 69-year-old was arrested this month for multiple charges of sexually abusing a 4-year-old. The child was coming to his home on weekdays for daycare that his late wife, Marilyn provided. The abuse lasted about a year, starting in 2011.

Tony admitted to police that he abused the child. According to court documents, the parents confronted Tony and he admitted it was an addiction. Tony also told police that he abused “several children” over the years but couldn’t remember their names.

A few more victims have since been identified. One was his step daughter and another was a foster child.

Before running a small daycare out of their home, the Tony’s had been foster parents for 14 years, between 1984 and 1998.

Bethel police interviewed a victim who says they were abused in 1997, as Tony’s foster child. The person reported the abuse to the Office of Children’s Services, which is in charge of licensing foster homes. According to police, the Tony’s lost their foster license the following year. No one at OCS can confirm that, saying they can’t talk about specific cases. No charges have been filed on behalf of this victim.

Another victim says earlier allegations of abuse were ignored.

One of Tony’s step daughters, who is now 48-years-old, is accusing Tony of abusing her and her two sisters. Kimberley Bruesch says she was first abused by Tony when she was 8 years old, a few years after he married her mother, Marilyn. Both her sisters committed suicide as adults. Bruesch says they were never able to deal with the abuse they suffered. She says no one listened to them. She says they reported the abuse to the Office of Children’s Services in 1982 but nothing happened. A few years later, the Tony’s were licensed for foster care.

Bruesch says she and her sisters left the home as teenagers to get away from Tony. She now lives in Ketchikan.

In e-mails to KYUK, she says she’s talking about the abuse for several reasons including because it might help other victims come forward. She also believes it was her sister’s dying wish.

Bethel police say Tony’s victims could go back to the 1970s.

Previous post:

Next post: