KYUK AM

Family Homeless After Nunapitchuk Home Burns Down

Jan 10, 2018

The home of Edwina Andrew burned to the ground in Nunapitchuk last night. No one in the family was injured.
Credit Courtesy of Nicole Tobeluk.

A house burned to the ground in Nunapitchuk last night, leaving a family homeless and in urgent need of winter clothes.

Nicole Tobeluk was at her grandmother’s house when someone ran to the door. "They told us there was a fire," she said. "We all got ready and went over."

The house belonged to Tobeluk’s sister, Edwina Andrew, who lived there with her three children and several other family members. "Everything is burnt down," said Tobeluk. "It was burning all the way to the roof."

The family wasn’t home, but their dog was. Tobeluk suspects that it died in the fire. She said that they’re still not sure how the fire started. It might have started in the bathroom, but it could have been the furnace. Tobeluk said that her sister’s family is staying with relatives now. They lost almost everything and need food, clothes, boots, and beds. They particularly need money and winter gear.

If you’re interested in helping Edwina Andrew and her family, you can send donations to P.O. Box 32, Nunapitchuk, Alaska 99641. You can also donate to the family’s gofundme campaign here.